Saturday, January 19, 2008

Sicko


No I'm not a sicko person or something but rather it's a movie made by Michael Moore. For those people who aren't familiar to that name, Michael Moore is the same director who made Fahrenheit 9/11, a controversial film about the conspiracies leading to the 9/11 incident. I love Michael Moore's way of insulting something. He makes it so sacarstic in such a cynical way; he's just so cynically sacarstic.


About the movie Sicko, it talks about the medical care facilities that is available in the US. Being the 'best' country in the world, one could safely assume that the US has the best medical care facilities in the world, not to mention the biggest, the most, the fattest etc etc. What they did not mention that medical care costs is the most expensive in the world as well. As noted a simple asthma pump would cost you a freaking 120 USD.


Michael Moore proceeds to travel to european countries, where he realize that the medical facilities that is provided in the UK and France are virtually free. Of course those medical facilities is paid via your taxes, but since when you don't need to pay tax in the US? Hell, even the British hospitals provide reimbursements for tranportation to and from the hospital! In France, they have house doctors that actually come to your house in case of any medical emergencies. How freaking good is that? In US, they charge you literally by the meter for the nurse to walk to guide you through the hospital. Ok I am exaggerating here, but I think many people would agree to the fact that Americans are seriously being ripped off.


When I first came to US, I love bashing how stupid Americans can be. I then realize that they're not stupid but rather they're ignorant. Almost two years living in America I realize further that they are ignorant because the government created a system that subconsciously make them into ignorant robots. I used to despise them and say they're bloody redneck racists. Now instead I pity the Americans. Somehow rather the situation in US is almost the same in Malaysia. We are being propagandized into believing that our world is a perfect, harmonious place. We have a close-minded thinking that we're so perfect and what not, till we fail to even rationalize something which is so obvious. And governments purposely do that so that we won't 'wake' from our zombic state and realize 'Hei, our country is pretty fucked up, we should do something about it.' This is why I never read Malaysian newspapers that are nothing but about Barisan National being the best when actually they're so corrupted. I used to think that only happens in my native country, but I realize even in the US it is the same thing, just that the Americans are more discreet and use distraction tactics.


I guess what I'm trying to say here is that we should be able to rationalize and analyze 'reputable' information given to us. Perhaps being a leftie makes me biased towards leftie people like Michael Moore, whom when seen on television looks like a hippie from the 70s. However, I really recommend Americans and people who live in America, especially my sisters to watch the movie and see what you think. Now somehow I wish that I continued studying in Australia and obtain a PR there. Yes, you all may now shoot me for not staying back in Australia instead.

No comments: