Sunday, March 9, 2008

Back and Broke to the Max

Finally I'm back from New York. In the process, I'm thoroughly broke and will have to be ultra thrifty if I were to meet my monthly allocated expenses. To sum things, New York City is really great. Yes I didn't visit the two supposedly most must places to visit and that is the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building. I wanted to visit those places but when I reached the South Ferry to hop on the ferry to get onto the Liberty and Ellis Island, I was shocked to see the miles long queue to get into the ferry. So I said screw it and then proceeded to get to Empire State building. I was about to get in when on the last minute I decided not to go in. I was already at the front counter but decided not to. One thing was that it costs 19 dollars to get to the 86th floor observatory and another 16 dollars to get on the 101th floor top deck observatory. Furthermore, I feel that it is the second best observatory as the WTC towers were taller and Sears tower in Chicago which is taller than both of the towers costs only 12 dollars to get in. Ultimately, I feel it's a rip off and after going up the Sears Tower, buildings are just building and when you're up there, the scenery are just the same.

People in NYC are surprisingly alright for me. Maybe this is because I grew up in KL, which I think Malaysians are more hostile than the New Yorkans. I didn't get mugged or shot but at the same time I didn't meet any New York elites that I can gold dig. When I was travelling to the airport flying back to Chicago, a lady came asked me how to get to the airport as this was her first time getting there. In the end, she offered to pay the shuttle bus fare from the train station to the airport which I feel was very nice of her. Come to think of it now, she jokingly said I could buy her coffee and maybe I should had and then exchange numbers so that in the future maybe I could find her in NY. Aigh....

Would I like to stay in NYC? Well, I stayed with my friend and she love NYC so much that she's trying very hard to stay here as long as she can. I on the other hand might prefer Chicago as it still has it's own unique characteristics and affordable at the same time. San Diego I imagine would be nice if I earn at least an annual six-figure income to be able to enjoy the place to the fullest. The greatest thing I can imagine off-hand would be to cruise on a convertible Lamborghini with my Tag Heuer sunglasses and driving down highway 101.

Anywayz, while I was busy soaking the NYC atmosphere, the Malaysian general election concluded to many's surprise. I am surprised that many people are surprised of the results, so much so that even the opposition were dumbfounded. To me I guess it was very much expected. As an internet savvy person, the amount of disgust and hatred expressed to the government is shocking that I here in the US am worried of getting back to Malaysia. I think this is the turning point of Malaysian politics. A certain party can be in power only for so long. From now on if the opposition does and excellent job in handling their territories while the BN continues waving their kerises in thin air very soon the next election the majority would be dominated by the oppositions. By the way, I'm still very skeptical about PAS. I can't imagine myself coming back to Malaysia after so long being overseas only to be kidnapped and forced to perform a circumcision upon me.

I'm sorry that I don't have much pictures to post here. I didn't take much pictures and those that I took are crappy ones. Oh well, till then good night everyone.

No comments: